Saturday, September 09, 2006

Where have you been all my life, Vox DA5?

The last two weeks, I've been playing a lot of guitar. Most, or at least many of you, know that there are two main reasons for this. Number one, I am trying out for the UC Jazz ensembles this semester, and it looks like I will get into the intermediate combo I tried out for (I was the only guitar player there). Number two, I spent last weekend rolling out as many hott, creamy, fat, heavy, greasy, dirty, crunchy, and/or shimmering licks as possible in an effort to attract the attention of... certain people.

This is not a post about either of these things. Rather, this is a post on my new practice amp. As with all consumer electronics, the low-to-midrange electric guitar amp market has benefitted greatly in the last ten years due to embedded computer technology; specifically in this case by the advent of so-called "modelling amps", which emulate several very, very expensive amps. They'll probably never be perfect, but they're certainly pretty close considering the price. And now the modelling technology has trickled down all the way to little practice amps. The net result? Lots of good shit for the guitarist community that I don't care about. What I do care about is me, and what it has done for me is to make my guitar sound hell of hott, creamy, fat, heavy, greasy, dirty, crunchy, and shimmering, all for the low, low Labour Day price of $125.



I love you, Vox DA5.

Current Music: My Morning Jacket - It Still Moves

No comments: