Thursday, April 06, 2006

Perhaps I should just accept my stupidy

They say absence makes the heart grow fonder. Unfortunately it also seems to make the brain grow duller. Yesterday I was trying to put together a combinatorial formula for the Fed Ex of Funk and I fucked it up. Today I spent about two hours trying to figure out a "really easy" exercise, then cursing my professor for labelling it as such, then kicking myself when I finally got it. (It really was easy.) I think Spring Break has made me stupid.

Or maybe it's just that I'm getting dumber as I age. When I was younger I was such a promising mathematician. Now, I might be if I could remember half the stuff I learned two years ago. This feeling drives me to think that I should instead spend my time sharpening other skills, like songwriting, guitar playing, internet humour-ing, and cooking. I've gotten in touch with my old English teacher and it's reminded me what it was like to not be known solely as a math/CS/stats student. It was so much more fun being known as "the guitar guy". If I'm just getting book-stupider as I get into my mid-20s, why not give up in the brain game and join a band?

Then again, I met an undergrad at the bus stop yesterday who was sharpening ninja stars that his roommate had sent back from Japan. (Damn, Americans take that whole right to bear arms shit seriously.) He said, "We're just looking to have some fun with them, you know." And then I think, "Wow, I would never do that." And then I remember, "Yeah, I probably would have at his age." Maybe I'm not getting stupider.

And so I guess I'll go to class tomorrow.

Current Music: Eisley - Plenty of Paper

5 comments:

GOC said...

we were undergrads not long ago, and I don't recall you having any fondness for ninja stars...

Dickolas Wang said...

It's true, I'm kinda torn on that one. Maybe I was just never that stupid. I don't like that idea though as it still leaves open the possibility that I'm getting stupider.

Transcience said...

Just the other day I seem to recall you snickering about how difficult a time Ronny McShmartypantsenstein was having with a problem you'd knocked out easily. And credit where it's due, you're the one helping me with my shit and not the other way around.

Dickolas Wang said...

I hadn't, I just sort of had an idea of how to do it after talking to the prof. He figured it out today.

I did solve a problem that he didn't once though, that was a happy day.

Jowen said...

You are the Internet's Foremost Dickolas Wang, what more do you want?