Thursday, October 27, 2005

Delayed Reaction: Boner

When I was a kid I watched Growing Pains and I also thought I was a dyed-in-the-wool Star Trek fan (it turns out I was just a TNG fan, but that's another story). I noticed that the dude who played Boner had the same last name as the dude who played Chekov, but I quickly forgot about it.

So imagine my (delayed) joy at finding, as I read this story about George Takei coming out of the closet as a 68-year-old man (now that's a delayed reaction) on Fark, mention of Walter "Ensign Chekov" Koenig's son Andrew... or, as he might be more familiar to you, Boner from Growing Pains!

I always wondered how they got away with calling him "Boner" on TV; I just assumed that it was a simpler, more innocent time and they didn't think twice about it. Just now, though, I discovered that his character's name was Richard Stabone. Clearly, this wasn't a coincidence.

Incidentally, I foolishly Googled "growing pains boner" just now. Amazingly, the first two pages of links actually had to do with Boner from Growing Pains. The day is mine.

Current Music: The Corn Dollies - Forever Steven

(Some of you might be interested by Little Hits, another link I got from Man vs. Clown!. Mr. Little Hits is putting up a song I've never heard of every day, and since it is my quest to one day hear every song ever written, I've been browsing, and I've found some interesting stuff on there. In particular: a track by a band called Razar, which sounds uncannily like a band name Strong Bad might have made up; and this, which made me realize that the classic tune "AIDS: You Don't Want It" might not have been so original after all.)

Current link count: 8

1 comment:

Transcience said...

Come on, you didn't know his name was Richard Stabone?