Friday, December 11, 2009

Pedagogy 101 (Random quotes from a few hours ago, provided with context)

me:
I did my second mini-lesson today

me:
it did not go as smoothly

me:
I tried to do a problems lesson where I gave people a sheet with a problem on it and then I had them work in groups

me:
this is pretty difficult when you only have 10 minutes, it turns out

Tanya:
Yeah

me:
still, I wanted to try it

Tanya:
Were you supposed to do something interactive?

me:
you don't *have* to, but I wanted to try

me:
people got confused with the notation I used on my exercise

[snip]

Tanya:
What was your exercise?

[snip]

me:
it was on integration by parts

me:
I had them calculate \int_0^1 x e^x dx

me:
in three steps: first, let u = x, let v = e^x

me:
oops

Tanya:
Hah

me:
let u = t, v = e^t

me:
oops

Tanya:
Hah

me:
man, this is harder than I thought

me:
no wonder they got confused!

No comments: