Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Note to self

Don't get sick.

As I am approaching my 25th birthday, my parents received a letter saying that I would no longer be covered under their medical plan and so I have to buy my own BC Medical Services Plan. I think I am legally required to have it despite my American coverage, which I don't mind too much because I've heard that it can be quite difficult to deal with American health insurance providers and I don't even want to know what kind of things can go wrong with getting out-of-country care should I be home for a holiday.

Also, I feel that having extra health insurance while living in the US is a good idea. This little snippet on the MSP "Leaving BC" website, for example, caught my eye:

You should be aware that your provincial coverage may not pay for all the health care costs you may incur outside the province, and the difference can be substantial. For example, B.C. pays $75 (Cdn) a day for emergency in-patient hospital care, while the average cost in the U.S. often exceeds $1000 (US) a day, and can be as high as $10,000 (US) a day in intensive care.


Does this imply that medical care is over an order of magnitude costlier in the US than in BC?

Don't get sick.

No comments: